This papaya salad with cinnamon, lime, and yogurt is the perfect snack that is also soothing on the digestive system. Swap your morning bowl of cereal or snack for this salad and
you'll feel great all day!
Papaya is a unique fruit that I feel is under-appreciated in the typical American diet. As a dietitian, I often work with people who have digestive issues such as constipation, irritable bowl syndrome (IBS), chronic heartburn, and other conditions. For those individuals I often recommend adding papaya to their diet because it has properties that can help improve digestion and provide relief to many uncomfortable symptoms.
Papaya contains an enzyme called papain that helps break down proteins making them more easily digestible. This enzyme is so good at breaking down protein, it's actually used as a meat
tenderizer in many commercial meat products! This enzyme has been found to help improve digestion and may provide relief for digestive issues. Papaya is also a great source of
vitamins A and E, which are good for the eyes and skin, and vitamin C which is important for immune health.
As far as weight loss, eating papaya can be beneficial because it's a good source of fiber which helps us feel full for a longer time, so eating a bowl of papaya instead of cereal or dessert each day is a great way to save calories and boost nutrition in your eating plan.
If you've never had papaya before, it can taste a little "different" at first. It has a very distinct smell and flavor that takes a few bites to get used to, but once
you do, you'll probably love it! I created this salad to be a nice introduction to papaya because it has a nice vinaigrette that really mellows the strong flavor of the
fruit. The lime juice, cinnamon and yogurt make this a special dish that you can enjoy any time of day!
Digestive Soother Papaya Salad
Makes 2 servings
- 2 cups chopped papaya (fresh or canned), if fresh, peel it before you chop it
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 1 large or 2 small limes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, honey, lime juice, and cinnamon to combine well.
- Add the papaya and toss to coat with the dressing. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Note: The lime will soften the papaya, so this is best eaten within a day or two)