Short on time but still wanting something healthy for dinner? This grilled zucchini panini has five main ingredients and takes just fifteen minutes to make. It's a perfect healthy
"fast food' option for a Meatless Monday or any lunch or dinner!
There are certain things I pretty much always have on hand that are super helpful in times like these. I always keep a variety of whole grain bread and tortillas in the freezer - it keeps them fresh and allows me to have several different grain options available all the time. I also always have different varieties of onions because I use them so much and they stay good in the pantry for a long time, and zucchini because it is one of our favorite veggies. Oh yes, and I've always got cheese, because it's one of those ingredients that can be used in any meal of the day and adds some calcium, protein, and of course deliciousness!
Quick and Healthy Grilled Zucchini Panini
Makes 2 Servings
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3 thick slices red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat Panini press or grill pan to medium high heat. Toss the zucchini and onion slices with the oil and seasonings.
- Place the veggies in an even layer on the Panini press, close, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender and have grill marks. If using a grill pan or skillet, cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Top each slice of bread with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. When the veggies are done cooking, divide the mixture evenly among 2 slices of bread, then place the remaining slices of bread on top of each sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches in the Panini press and cook for about 5 minutes or until golden and the cheese is melted. If using a grill pan, cook for about 4 minutes per side.