These apple and peanut butter snack bites are perfect for a mid-morning or afternoon pick-me-up that will give you long-lasting energy!
Snacks can be one of two things when it comes to your eating plan: They can be a great way to fuel your body between meals, give you energy and sustained blood sugar levels to help you feel great all day, and serve as opportunities to eat more fruits and veggies.
Or, they can be ways to add unnecessary extra calories through less-healthy food choices like chips, cookies, or candy that actually make you feel worse and contribute to weight gain. It's important to make smart snack choices that will work for your body, not against it!
When choosing snacks, here are a few things to consider:
- Is there a fruit, veggie, whole grain, lean protein, or source of low-fat dairy? Aim for at least two food groups in snacks to keep them more balanced and get more nutrition into your day.
- How many calories are in this snack? A good range is around 100-200 calories per snack.
- Is this snack a whole food (one that only contains ingredients straight from nature)? Or does it have a large list of hard-to-pronounce ingredients on the label?
- If you choose a grain, such as crackers, try adding a source of protein with it, like one tablespoon natural peanut butter (it's good to include some protein with grains to slow digestion and help stabilize blood sugar levels).
- Is this highly processed? Meaning, is there added sugar, trans fat, food coloring, or preservatives? If so, it's probably not the best option.
These apple and peanut butter bites are a great healthy snack option because they contain whole grains from the oats, protein and healthy fat from the peanut butter and flax, and fruit from the apple and dried cranberries.
They're packed with nutrition, so you only need one or two to get you through till the next meal. Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge and you've got a quick healthy snack any time you need it. Happy snacking!
Apple and Peanut Butter Snack Bites
Makes about 16 bites
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (instant oats)
- 1/2 medium apple, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until they come together to form a dough-like texture. If the mixture is still crumbly, add 1-2 tablespoons water and pulse until it comes together.
- Scoop the mixture out one tablespoon at a time and roll to make each snack bite round in shape.
- Place in an air-tight container with parchment or plastic wrap between layers of the snack bites and store in the refrigerator up to one week.