It's almost here! Christmas is only a few days away so I thought I'd share a few more of my healthy holiday tips for some last minute ideas on staying on track and feeling great even in the
midst of all the craziness that is typical of this holiday week.
Don't wait until the new year - start thinking about your health now and save the guilt (and bloat) we normally feel heading into January. Here are some strategies for getting
through the last couple of weeks of the year:
- Step away from the appetizer table! We tend to gather around appetizers while we visit with people at holiday gatherings. It’s like setting ourselves a trap to overeat since it’s all right there looking right back at us! So take your visiting away from the food table, and enjoy the company of friends and loved ones without the extra calories.
- Eat your calories, don’t drink them. You’re looking at a rough average of about 140 calories for 12 ounces of soda, a bottle of beer, or a 5 ounce glass of wine. And that would be for just one serving of those drinks. Stick to water, unsweetened tea or coffee as your main beverages of choice. This is one of the easiest ways to save calories and stay on track with your healthy eating plan!
- Carry a glass of water with you at a party. If you’re holding something (especially in your dominant hand), you’re less likely to grab more food to munch on. Small actions like this add up to big success later!
- Out of sight, out of mind: Put treats away in a cabinet or drawer at home or the office so you can’t see them all day. Studies show that you will eat more if these foods are in a place that is very easy to access, such as on your desk or out on the counter at home.
- Take a few minutes each day to go for a walk, do some stretching, yoga, or meditation. A clear mind is a beautiful thing!
And of course don't forget to enjoy time with family and friends! Here's to a beautiful holiday!